List of famous APL users
This page lists people or companies that have made significant use of APL, and are famous for reasons other than APL specifically (Ken Iverson and Arthur Whitney are the only people to achieve substantial fame for APL or array programming).
- Fred Brooks
- Horst Feistel
- Bill Gates
- Stanley Jordan has presented at APL89 and APL90 and attended Minnowbrook
- Alan Perlis
- Rob Pike develops the APL-like calculator Ivy
- Richard Stallman
- Ken Thompson was the original implementer of APL\11
Because of APL's wide reach historically, only organizations that have major APL projects or groups with many programmers are listed.
- Adin Falkoff and Ken Iverson. The Evolution of APL. ACM SIGPLAN Notices Volume 13, Number 8. 1978-08.
- Alan G. Konheim. Horst Feistel: the inventor of LUCIFER, the cryptographic algorithm that changed cryptology. Journal of Cryptographic Engineering (2019) 9:85–100 (doi:10.1000/182).
- Jay Whipple III. Lessons from 40 Years of APL (Not Old Enough for 50 Years!) at Dyalog '16.
- Bill Gates. Open Letter to Hobbyists. 1976.
- David Allison. Video interview with Bill Gates (transcript). National Museum of American History.
- Stanley Jordan. V. Tools and Technology: The APL Language. Accessed 2021-01-07.
- Lee Dickey. APL\11 source now available on comp.lang.apl. 1993-04-15.