Marshall Ward Lochbaum of Raleigh, North Carolina, is a software developer and programming language implementer. At University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, he earned a Master of Computer Science degree, was distinguished with the highest honours in mathematics as a Bachelor in Mathematics and Computer Science with a minor in Physics, and received the 2013 Alfred T. Brauer and 2014 Archibald Henderson prizes. Lochbaum is the designer and implementer of the I programming language which generalizes the array and functional capabilities of J to deal with a much broader variety of data structures.
Before joining Dyalog, Lochbaum programmed extensively in J, both as a hobbyist and as a professional at ThomasNet and BEST, llc. He has also contributed to the J interpreter.
Since February 2017, he has worked as a software developer at Dyalog Ltd., mainly on speeding up the implementation of Dyalog APL, but also contributing to language development. He has achieved significant speed-ups across all parts of the language, implemented new primitives, and designed extensions to existing ones. He also is a frequent workshop host and presenter and Dyalog User Meetings and other events.
Notable software projects
- JSound: J scripts for sound processing and synthesis
- JtoLaTeX: LaTeX-formatted documents using J evaluation
- I language: a tacit functional programming language inspired by J
- Jsoftware Conference 2012: Image processing in J
- Jsoftware Conference 2014: Using Data as Code
- Dyalog '17 D08: Moving Bits Faster in Dyalog 16.0 (materials)
- Dyalog '18 D08: Sub-nanosecond Searches Using Vector Instructions
- Dyalog '18 D15: The Interpretive Advantage
- LambdaConf 2019: Outer Product as an Introduction to APL and a Pretty Cool Thing in General
- Dyalog '19 D04: Tacit Techniques with Dyalog version 18.0 Operators (slides (zip file))
- Dyalog '19 D09: Implementing Reduction (slides (zip file))
|APL community |
|Sharing code||APLcart ∙ APLTree|
|User groups||APL Borealis (Canada) ∙ APL et J (France) ∙ APL-Germany ∙ BAA (UK) ∙ FinnAPL (Finland) ∙ JAPLA (Japan) ∙ SAUG (Switzerland) ∙ SIGAPL (USA) ∙ SwedAPL (Sweden)|
|Forums||APL2000 DN ∙ APLX Support Forum ∙ Dyalog Forum ∙ NARS2000 Forum|
|People||Phil Abrams ∙ Bob Bernecky ∙ Larry Breed ∙ Charles Brenner ∙ Jim Brown (IBM) ∙ Gitte Christensen ∙ Philip Van Cleave ∙ Peter Donnelly ∙ Dan Dyer ∙ Adin Falkoff ∙ Garth Foster ∙ Roger Hui ∙ Ken Iverson ∙ Morten Kromberg ∙ Marshall Lochbaum ∙ Eugene McDonnell ∙ John McPherson ∙ Jon McGrew ∙ Donald McIntyre ∙ Roger Moore ∙ Alex Morrow ∙ Alan Perlis ∙ Al Rose ∙ William Rutiser ∙ John Scholes ∙ Ian Sharp ∙ Lynne Shaw ∙ Bob Smith ∙ Roy Sykes ∙ Raymond Tisserand ∙ Arthur Whitney ∙ Clark Wiedmann|
|Other||APL Orchard ∙ APL Wiki ∙ Dyalog user meetings ∙ Iverson Award ∙ APL conferences ∙ Code golf ∙ APL Quote Quad|