Morten John Kromberg is the current CTO, and former CXO, of Dyalog Ltd. Having a decade-long history as APL consultant, followed by years as CTO and developer at Adaytum (now Cognos), he is also an active member of Dyalog's team of APL developers, a prolific speaker at various events, and a frequent author on Dyalog's blog.
In 1979, Kromberg met some people who were setting up an office for I.P. Sharp Associates (IPSA) in Oslo, Norway. There, he had unlimited access to APL timesharing. During the 1980's, he attempted multiple times to become an academic, repeatedly but repeatedly ended up in paid work, implementing databases, crew scheduling systems and modelling North Sea oil production.
He met Gitte Christensen via the IPSA Mailbox (also written in APL, before the Internet) and moved to the IPSA Copenhagen, Denmark, office in 1984. Upon the birth of his son in 1985, he gave up the idea of getting a degree, and learned how to install and maintain SHARP APL applications on mainframe computers — working on this until IPSA was bought by Reuters — finally leaving to form Insight Systems together with Gitte Christensen and Kim Andreasen in 1990. For a while they combined SHARP APL work with work in APL*PLUS and Dyalog APL on PCs.
During a period with little billable work, Insight Systems implemented SQAPL (also known as APL Link Pro in the APL*PLUS community) which quickly became the de-facto standard ODBC interface within the APL community.
Around 1995, Insight Systems became part of Adaytum Software, and Kromberg became the new CTO. The Insight Systems division took over responsibility for the development of Adaytum Planning, a budgeting and performance measurement application which uses Dyalog APL at its core. The application was eventually sold to Cognos in 2002. In 2008, Cognos was bought by IBM which continues the marketing of the original Adaytum product.
Morten Kromberg became the CTO of Dyalog Ltd. in 2005 and has held the position since, except for 2015–June 2019 during which he served as CXO. In 2016, Morten Kromberg and CEO Gitte Christensen received a joint Iverson Award for the substantial leaps forward in APL technology that have been made under their leadership.
Dyalog user meetings
- Main article: Dyalog user meeting
Road Map presentations
Kromberg has given a presentation on Dyalog's technical direction every year in his role as CTO or CXO, mirroring the opening statements by CEO Gitte Christensen.
- Dyalog '07 02: Dyalog for Enterprise Applications (Technical Keynote)
- Dyalog '08 02: Technical Keynote (materials)
- Dyalog '09 02: Technical Roadmap (materials)
- Dyalog '10 V12: Dyalog Technical Keynote
- Dyalog '11 D02: Road Map Part 1 – The Blue Hills
- Dyalog '12 D02: Technical Keynote (materials)
- Dyalog '13 D02: Technical Keynote (slides)
- Dyalog '14 D02: Technical Road Map (slides)
- Dyalog '15 D02: Technical Road Map (slides)
- Dyalog '16 D02: Technical Road Map: The User Experience (slides)
- Dyalog '17 D02: Technical Road Map: The User Experience (slides)
- Dyalog '18 D02: The Road Ahead (slides)
- Dyalog '19 D02: The Road Ahead (slides)
- Dyalog '20 D02: The Road Ahead (slides)
- Dyalog '21 D02: The Road Ahead (slides)
- Dyalog '22 D02: The Road Ahead (slides)
- Dyalog '06 01: "Open" Source Code Management (materials)
- Dyalog '07 04: Introduction to Unicode
- Dyalog '07 07: New Tools for Distributed Applications (materials)
- Dyalog '10 P01: APL# – An APL for Microsoft .NET, Mono, Silverlight and Moonlight (materials) (with John Scholes and Jonathan Manktelow)
- Dyalog '10 P02: Unifying Traditional Functions and Dfns in APL# (materials) (with John Scholes and Jonathan Manktelow)
- Dyalog '10 P11: Parallel Computation Using Peach, Prank and Pouter (materials) (with Michael Hughes)
- Dyalog '10 ST1: APL – why, when and where
- Dyalog '10 V14: Your Application as an SQL Data Source
- Dyalog '11 D08: APL# (materials) (with John Scholes and Jonathan Manktelow)
- Dyalog '11 D10: Dyalog in the Enterprise
- Dyalog '12 D11: Secure, High Performance Component Files using The Dyalog File Server (materials)
- Dyalog '12 D13: The Story of tryapl.org (with Brian Becker)
- Dyalog '13 D00: Robot Wars (slides)
- Dyalog '13 D07: Parallel Language Features in Version 14.0 (slides) (with Jay Foad)
- Dyalog '13 D11: Primitive Performance (slides, materials) (with Roger Hui)
- Dyalog '13 D12: Dyalog File Server Version 2.0 (slides)
- Dyalog '13 D14: Interfaces to R, Q and NAG (slides)
- Dyalog '14 D08: Parallel Programming with Dyalog v14.0 (materials)
- Dyalog '14 D15: WPF Third Party Controls: Syncfusion and the APLGrid (materials) (with Michael Hughes)
- Dyalog '15 D07: Cross-platform User Interfaces (slides)
- Dyalog '15 D11: DP2 – The Dyalog Project Project (slides)
- Dyalog '15 D13: External Workspaces (slides_MK, slides_SN) (with Stig Nielsen)
- Dyalog '16 D05: vecdb (slides)
- Dyalog '16 D09: Web Stack of the Future (slides) (with Bjørn Christensen)
- Dyalog '16 D10: Open Front Ends (slides_MK) (with Nick Nickolov)
- Dyalog '17 D05: APL Source Code in Text Files (slides)
- Dyalog '18 D11: Cloud Computing with APL (slides)
- Dyalog '19 D05: Link (materials (zip file)) (with Adám Brudzewsky)
- Dyalog '20 D08: Dyalog's Docker Containers (slides)
- Dyalog '21 D07: Link v3.0 (slides)
- Dyalog '22 D05: The P words…Projects and Packages (slides)
- Main article: Dyalog webinar
- Something Old, Something New & Something Experimental (with Richard Smith)
- Celebrating the release of Dyalog Version 16.0 and RIDE 4.0
- A closer look at the new primitives in version 16.0 (with John Scholes)
- Source Code Management with GitHub and APL (with Brian Becker)
- Microservices in Dyalog APL
- Pre-Release User Commands (With Adám Brudzewsky)
- APL Processes and Isolates in the Clouds
- Acquiring online data using HttpCommand, ⎕JSON and ⎕XML
- Source Code Management with Dyalog v17.1
- Introducing Dyalog version 18.0
- APL87: How to win the respect and admiration of the rest of the DP world. With Kim S. Andreasen and Svend Elkjaer Frandsen.
- APL90: An application development platform. With Martin Gfeller.
- Herding Code: Lightning Round on APL (podcast)
- Talks at Google 2015: Pragmatic Functional Programming Using Dyalog APL
- Functional Conf 2014: Pragmatic Functional Programming using Dyalog
- Functional Conf 2015: Parallel Programming in Dyalog using Futures and Isolates
- PLDI 2016: ARRAY Workshop Keynote
- Functional Conf 2016: Array Oriented Functional Programming with Dyalog
- Functional Geekery 2016: Episode 65 (podcast)
- Functional Conf 2017: Code Jugalbandi (with Dhaval Dalal)
- Jio talks 2019: Pragmatic Array Oriented Functional Programming (with Aaron Hsu)
- Array Cast: Roger Hui (1953-2021)
- Author archives: Morten Kromberg. Dyalog Blog.
- 'About The CTO…, Dyalog Blog.
- 2016 Iverson Award Recognises Dyalog's CEO and CXO, DYALOGue Newsletter 27.