Jsoftware Inc. is the vendor for the J programming language and associated database management system Jd. Incorporated in February 1990 by Eric Iverson as Iverson Software Inc. and soon joined by Ken Iverson and Roger Hui, the company is now owned equally by Hui, Eric Iverson, and Chris Burke.
Iverson Software Inc. was founded in February 1990 by Eric Iverson, with the intention of offering an improved version of SHARP APL/PC. By this time Eric's father Ken had begun work with Roger Hui on the language J (in fact, the first public demo of J was also held in February 1990); the pair joined Iverson Software in May of that year. Eric adapted his SHARP session manager to work with Hui's J implementation, and J was first released at APL90 in August 1990. Plans for a SHARP APL product were soon discarded. In 1994, the company hired Chris Burke to work on J's environment and libraries. In April 2000, it changed its name to Jsoftware; while the name Iverson Software Inc. is no longer used, it remains in the prefix "isi" used for some J tools.
In 2012 Marshall Lochbaum, then a summer intern at ThomasNet, began work on a modification of Chris Burke's JDB database management system to add more powerful features such as joins. Eric Iverson soon joined the project and Jsoftware negotiated with ThomasNet to obtain copyright ownership. JD, or JDB+, was announced on July 23, 2012 at the Jsoftware conference. Now called Jd, it is maintained and sold by Jsoftware.
- Main article: Jsoftware conferences
Jsoftware has held at least five programming conferences to date:
- 1996 J User Conference, Toronto, June 24–25th 1996
- J2000, Toronto, October 4–6th 2000
- J2001, New York City, October 18–19 2001
- Jsoftware Conference 2012, Toronto, July 23–24th 2012
- Jsoftware Conference 2014, Toronto, July 24–25th 2014
- Jsoftware. "About Us".
- Iverson, Eric. "home page update and Jd release". 2015-05-12.
- Hui, Roger. "Remembering Ken Iverson". November 2004.
- Iverson, Eric. "J Source GPL". 2011-03-02.
- Iverson, Eric. "JD (JDB+) announcement". Jsoftware Conference 2012. 2012-07-23.
- Jsoftware. "Jd/Index".
- Iverson, Eric. "j805-beta-11 release candidates". 2016-08-23.
- Iverson Software Inc. J User Conference Proceedings. 1996-06-24.
- Faust, Anne. J2000 User Conference. J forums.
- Faust, Anne. J 2001 User Conference. J forums.
|APL community |
|Sharing code||APLcart ∙ APLTree|
|User groups||APL Borealis (Canada) ∙ APL et J (France) ∙ APL-Germany ∙ BAA (UK) ∙ FinnAPL (Finland) ∙ JAPLA (Japan) ∙ SAUG (Switzerland) ∙ SIGAPL (USA) ∙ SwedAPL (Sweden)|
|Forums||APL2000 DN ∙ APLX Support Forum ∙ Dyalog Forum ∙ NARS2000 Forum|
|People||Phil Abrams ∙ Bob Bernecky ∙ Larry Breed ∙ Charles Brenner ∙ Jim Brown (IBM) ∙ Gitte Christensen ∙ Philip Van Cleave ∙ Peter Donnelly ∙ Dan Dyer ∙ Adin Falkoff ∙ Garth Foster ∙ Roger Hui ∙ Ken Iverson ∙ Morten Kromberg ∙ Marshall Lochbaum ∙ Eugene McDonnell ∙ John McPherson ∙ Jon McGrew ∙ Donald McIntyre ∙ Roger Moore ∙ Alex Morrow ∙ Alan Perlis ∙ Al Rose ∙ William Rutiser ∙ John Scholes ∙ Ian Sharp ∙ Lynne Shaw ∙ Bob Smith ∙ Roy Sykes ∙ Raymond Tisserand ∙ Arthur Whitney ∙ Clark Wiedmann|
|Other||APL Orchard ∙ APL Wiki ∙ Dyalog user meetings ∙ Iverson Award ∙ APL conferences ∙ Code golf ∙ APL Quote Quad|