Some of the best resources for somebody new to APL and programming in general are:
- APL Wiki's simple examples
- The Learn tab on TryAPL
- The book Mastering Dyalog APL by Bernard Legrand
- The APL Cultivation Stack Exchange Lessons
- The Zark APL Tutor
Follow one or a couple of these tutorials through and play around a bit. To learn APL the advice is similar to that for learning other languages: have a goal (something you want to accomplish) and try to do it. Along the way you are sure to come across the pitfalls and gotchas of the language, and with time you may come to understand what APL thinking means.
If you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask your questions in the APL Orchard chat room.
For non-APL programmers
This is a list of tutorials and other resources of interest to someone who knows about programming or is familiar with another programming language, but wants to learn more about APL.
- APL Wiki's advanced examples
- APL Cultivation (chat lessons)
- TryAPL online interpreter with lessons
- Learn X in Y minutes
- Fear and Loathing with APL
- APL in 20 Minutes
- A Short Intro to APL
- Let's Learn A Programming Language
- APLWiki list of Books and Publications
- Mastering Dyalog APL
- GitHub repository
- Zark tutorial
- Trying APL
- Artificial Neural Networks
For novice APLers
- APL Crossword 5: Fill in expressions and snippets to fulfil all the clues.
- 2016 Year Game: Find APL expressions involving exactly the digits 2 0 1 6 in that order to equal the numbers 0 to 100.
- 2017 Code Golf Challenge: Find the shortest possible APL expression that evaluates 1…52 without using any number or character literals.
- APL Problem Solving Competitions — Try to solve past years' problems.
For old APLers
In the last decade, several implementations have extended APL with new primitives:
How to's for advanced APLers
|APL development |
|Interface||Session ∙ Typing glyphs (on Linux) ∙ Fonts ∙ Text editors|
|Publications||Introductions ∙ Learning resources ∙ Simple examples ∙ Advanced examples ∙ Mnemonics ∙ Standards ∙ A Dictionary of APL ∙ Case studies ∙ Documentation suites ∙ Books ∙ Papers ∙ Videos ∙ Periodicals|
|Sharing code||APLcart ∙ APLTree ∙ APL-Cation|
|Vendors||APL2000 ∙ Dyalog ∙ GNU APL community ∙ IBM ∙ IPSA ∙ STSC|