Why You Should Have An Account
Although everybody can read any page, only "known" users can edit a page, or add a new page or delete a page. To become known to the wiki first create a account.
Even if you prefer to use the APL wiki as a source of information and/or code only, it is a good idea to create an account. These are the advantages:
Without an account, you must live with the default settings. With an account, you can actually change them.
- You can subscribe to particular pages. That means you will get an email as soon as somebody has changed a subscribed page.
- You can create your own "home page" on the wiki and provide at least contact information. Email addresses are obfuscated to anybody (including robots, spiders and the like) but account holders.
- You can have a page trail, which makes it easier to jump between pages you've already visited.
You can create a bookmark on the RecentChanges page. Whenever you create a bookmark, all entries in the list underneath the bookmark will disappear. Handy to keep the list of RecentChanges short and clean.
- You can add pages to the main navigation.
- You can send emails to others with a single click.
- Others might add pages or files (photos?!) not visible to non-account-holders.
- Last not least, an account makes your email address known to the admins. That enables us to keep you informed about important issues like:
Downtime, usually due to upgrades of any underlying software like MoinMoin or Apache
- Important new articles, events, whatever
Pestering you with ideas how you could contribute - just kidding